Landscaping in Portland, Oregon is a year-round endeavor. The last of the leaves are raked up in mid-December and the first weeds show up in February. The weather in between is largely free of ice and snow so new gardens are going in (in the mud, that is).
This is just one factor making Portland such a great place to be a landscaper. Unsurprisingly there are thousands of individuals and companies who can provide "landscaping". From solo gardeners like Mike Ellena of Ellena Gardens, to small family design-build firms like Ross NW Watergardens, to do-it-all behemoths like 7 Dees (whichever "D" you prefer) Portlanders have tons of options.
My goal with the list below is to help you decide which landscaper is right for your garden, property, family, and budget. The list is broken up into three main categories (small, medium, large), with a couple bonus niche categories (organic, irrigation repair, low voltage lighting).
Now, you might be thinking, why would you put this list together? Good question :-)
I am realistic. Not every client or project is going to work for us. There are more than enough gardens to go around and we will all be happier if we are compatible. So, yeah, I hope we are the landscaper for you. But if not, hopefully I can help you find the one who is.
Keep in mind that the recommendations below are just my opinion, in most cases based on projects I have seen, online portfolios, and interactions with employees of the companies. I am not running background checks or anything. Please use the lists below as a starting point and then do your due diligence.
Now for the lists!
Best Small Landscape Companies in Portland
Small companies are 1-5 employees and the person you deal with is the owner. A company this size is often a great choice for cleanups, weekly maintenance on an average sized yard, and small landscape improvement projects. Here are 2 really good small companies to check out:
- De La Cruz Landscapes. The owner, Julian, used to be a crew leader here at Ross NW Watergardens. He does excellent work maintaining lawns and properties, pruning plants, and basic improvements like spreading bark dust.
- Ball Landscaping. Yep, no website but you can get contact info here. Mike and his helpers are ready to tackle any landscape project you have, from new lawns to retaining walls to low voltage lighting.
Top Medium Landscape Companies in Portland
A medium sized landscape company is 4-15 people. Firms this size are likely to do everything from weekly lawn mowing to designing and installing complete landscapes. Most of the companies I really admire fit in this category (including Ross NW Watergardens!)
- Pistils Landscape Design + Build. A beautiful portfolio shows they understand how to use stone the right way. I also appreciate the diversity in their plantings. No "paint by numbers" landscape design here.
- Beautiful Bones and Purple Stones. Speaking of stone... some of the best stone work in the area comes from this team. More whimsical than Pistils or Ross NW Watergardens, make sure their style fits yours.
- JP Stone Contractors. Traditional stone mason crew that also does landscaping. I really admire their craftwork. I had the privilege of watching them work next door to us in Lake Oswego a couple of years ago. I was impressed by professionalism of the crew (and the great wall they built!)
Recommended Large Landscape Companies in Portland
The big boys have multiple crews dedicated to installation and maintenance of landscapes. To my eye most of them produce landscapes that are boring and at least a couple years behind the times. Some of them, however, greatly exceed my low expectations for a big landscape firm:
- Paradise Restored Landscaping. No one does big outdoor living spaces, outdoor kitchens, and over the top play areas better. No one.
- Desantis Landscaping. I am consistently impressed by the quality and variety of residential and commercial spaces these guys produce. They also offer a top notch organic landscape maintenance service that is working for the Rose Quarter and Burgerville.
- Landscape East & West. Skilled crews and very nice support people. I like everyone I ever meet associated with these guys. And they build some great fences and screens.
Best Organic Landscape Companies in Portland
Any of the companies above can avoid the use of chemicals while installing your landscape. But when it comes to maintenance the selection thins out. Here are two companies that do excellent work and are true believers in organic and chemical free landscape care:
- Katie's Gardening. Katie and her small team care for several of our completed gardens and do excellent work with them. Can't recommend enough!
- Clean Air Lawn Care. Organic and they used battery powered equipment. Every time they finish up at the property across the street from my home I feel a little guilty about the big blowers my crew use.
My Favorite Irrigation Repair Companies in Portland
Many of the companies above do sprinkler system repairs, but I recommend you go with a pro who specializes in them:
Recommended Low Voltage Landscape Lighting Companies in Portland
I love low voltage landscape lighting, and we would love to design and install yours. But if you need just repairs or for some reason don't like us you can rely on these guys:
More Highly Rated Landscape Contractors
Evergreen Landscape Care & Tree Services
17902 South Holly Lane, Oregon City, OR 97045
Autumn Leaf Home Services
1898 NE Jamie Drive, Hillsboro, OR 97124
Bart's Landscape & Maintenance Service, Inc.
PO Box 68015, Milwaukie, OR 97268
Blazer Landscape, Inc.
13010 Southwest Caspian Court, Beaverton, OR 97008
C & J Landscapes, LLC
3544 Northeast Cesar Chavez Boulevard, Portland, OR 97212
Elkridge Landscape Construction
31735 SE Bluff Road, Gresham, OR 97080
Forest Landscape Inc.
3975 Northwest Susbauer Road, Cornelius, OR 97113
11030 SE 92nd Ct, Happy Valley, OR 97086
40040 Northwest Murtaugh Road, North Plains, OR 97133
P.O. Box 1777, North Plains, OR 97133
Mountain View Landscapes
17809 N.E. Marine Dr. D-1, Portland, OR 97230
Pro Scape N.W., Inc.
3947 Southeast Wake Street, Milwaukie, OR 97222
29895 SW Kinsman Road, Wilsonville, OR 97070
New Dimensions Landscape
8505 SE 162nd Ave, Portland, OR 97236
Summit Landscape, LLC
PO Box 3610, Hillsboro, OR 97123
Tellurian Gardens, LLC
PO Box 86273, Portland, OR 97206
Terra-Sol Landscaping, Ltd.
21685 SW Hedges Drive, Tualatin, OR 97062
Preferred Landscape Services
12337 SE Henderson St, Portland, OR 97236
American Landscaping Service
10940 SW Barnes Rd Ste 252, Portland, OR 97225
7219 Northeast 47th Avenue, Portland, OR 97218
7005 NE Alberta St, Portland, OR 97218
Oregon Landscape Contractor's Board. See if your landscaper is licensed before you hire!
Find a Landscaper on OLCA (Oregon Landscape Contractor Association.)
A Collection of Portland Landscape Projects (follow to see new ones when posted.)
Portland Landscaping on LandscapingNetwork.com
Thumbtack's Top 10 Landscapers in Portland Oregon.
Top Landscaping Companies According To Yelp.
Portland Oregon Landscapers on Houzz (lots of pictures!)
Porch's Top Landscaping Companies Here.
Top Landscapers According to Expertise.
Top 150+ Landscapers on AngiesList (free signup required.)
HomeAdvisor's Best Landscapers in Portland.
Landscape Management's Top Grossing Landscape Companies (nationally.)
Lawn & Landscape's Top 100 (nationally.)
Landscape Cost Estimator from Manta.