Here at Ross NW Watergardens we do landscape design-build and our lead designer, Ben Bowen, does modern landscape designs independently as well.
But we know we are not always the best fit for every client or project. Sometimes we may also happen to be very busy!
We love that there are a bunch of talented landscape architects and designers here in Portland. So, if you don't work with us, who should you consider?
Recommended Portland Area Landscape Designers
- Carolyn Gregg and Christine Ellis of Gregg & Ellis Landscape Design are quintessential garden designers. And while they certainly place a strong emphasis on plant material I appreciate that both excel at hardscape layout (not all landscape designers do!)
- Bethany Rydmark, LA is an 8th(!) generation Oregonian with a collaborative mind and broad influences.
- Lauren Hall-Behrens of Lilyvilla Gardens is a designer with a flair for the dramatic. If you are daring, appreciate drama, and want a garden overflowing with beauty give her a call first.
- 2.ink Studio. Landscape architecture firm producing wonderful modern and post-modern spaces. Have a sparkling custom modern home and (big) budget to match? I would take a hard look at their portfolio.
- Me. When we are busy you may have to wait, but I will work hard to make it worth it!
Landscape Designs On a Budget
None of the above come cheap (though Gregg and Ellis may do a one visit/quick sketch thing). Need a simple design on a budget? Here are a couple good resources for Portland homeowners:
- Hire a landscape design student from PCC. How much will it cost you? I have no idea, but please leave a comment below if you have experience with this program!
- Dennis' 7 Dees has a service they call "Planscaper". It's billed as a free design service for the DIYer.
- Portland Nursery has a design service that is very reasonably priced, especially for smaller spaces.
- Drakes' 7 Dees provides a design guide you can use to put together your own landscape plan.
- Landscape Design In A Day is a design firm catering to homeowners with small gardens or DIY aspirations. Their process allows you to some of the heavy lifting and save some money as a result.
Other Portland Area Landscape Designers
For more information on landscape designers in the Portland area visit the Association of NW Landscape Designer's website.
Or just scroll down and see my full list.
Are you a Portland based landscape designer or architect who would like to be added to the list? Just leave a comment at the bottom!
Should you even hire a landscape designer?
You know you want a new landscape, and maybe you have a few ideas. But where to start? Should you work with a landscape designer? And what should you look for in a designer?
The benefits of choosing a landscape designer are many. A designer can work with you to find creative solutions to your property's challenges. They usually have a large reserve of ideas and creativity to draw on. If you want a truly unique and custom landscape- then a landscape designer is a great place to start.
When the design is completed you know have something that you can hand to any landscape contractor and be confident in the results. Having the completed design also allows you to do the project in phases, even over the course of several years, and end up with a harmonious landscape.
Most designers can also be your representative on the job site, ensuring the landscape reality matches your vision. If you don't have the time to manage the project yourself that can be a great benefit.
Is there a downside to choosing a landscape designer?
Sometimes. Creative solutions may be practical.... or they might not be. Some designers have very little experience actually building landscapes and are more prone to this. If you choose your designer wisely, this should not be an issue though.
Cost has to be considered. It will be at least $500 and up to $2500+ to have a design done for a 5000-7000 square foot lot. Is this a good investment? If your project involves many elements, a large area, difficult slopes, or needs to be completed in phases then the cost should not scare you.
In general, I have seen that landscapes involving designers cost more. Why? It goes back to those "creative solutions". Often the designer has something in mind that your contractor has little experience with. This adds uncertainty to the project for him- and the price rises.
There is a simple solution to the danger of a designer destroying your budget. Always make budget a core part of the design from the first meeting. If you have a landscape designer get started without giving them a budget get ready for sticker shock!
Creative solutions do not have to be expensive!
Finding the right designer for your garden.
What should you look for?
- Flexibility. A portfolio with landscapes in a variety of styles.
- Simplicity. It takes a high degree of skill to design a garden with subtlety.
- Approachability. Look for a smiling head shot and down to earth descriptions- a person you can see yourself working with!
Should you hire a landscape designer?
Maybe. Weigh the options, consider the cost. If you do work with a designer, choose well and you will never be disappointed. How did you pick your designer? Comments are open below!
Portland Area Landscape Architects
For more information about landscape architects in Portland visit the website for the Oregon Chapter of the American Society of Landscape Architects.
Portland, Oregon 97209
Laurie Sager & Associates Landscape
Ashland, Oregon 97520
Macdonald Environmental Planning PC
Portland, Oregon 97205
Portland, Oregon 97209
Portland, Oregon 97227
Nevue NGAN Associates
Portland, Oregon 97214
Samuel H Williamson & Associates
Portland, Oregon 97209
Visionscapes NW Landscape Design
Verdant Garden Northwest
Plant Passion Design LLC
Creative Garden Spaces
Teresa Dennis Garden Design
Vanessa Gardner Nagel APLD
Seasons Garden Design LLC
Hannan Garden Design
Nature/Nurture Landscape Design
Barbara Hilty Landscape Design, LLC
Wheel & Barrow Landscape Design & Maintenance
Hyland Garden Design LLC
Red Bird Design
Kapa Landscape Design, LLC
Alyse Lansing Garden Design
Branch Out Landscape Design LLC
Harmony Design NW
Marsh & Fear Garden Solutions
Ann Nickerson Landscape Design, Inc.
Kip Nordstrom Design LLC
Bondi Garden & Design
Design With Nature
Pride & Joy Landscapes
OLIVINE Land, LLC
Plan-It Earth Design
4 Season Gardens, LLC
Living Elements Landscape LLC
J J Sweeney
Calendula Garden Design
971 340 8946